Does Montoo deserve my Blog Post. Is he Right or Wrong?

by - 02:10


Does Montoo deserve my Blog Post, may be Yes or May be No. Coupled with reasoning and my mind is debating - What he did was right or wrong?

So I thought let me hit the keyboard and get things sorted. To all who don’t know, Montoo was our maid at house. He was 17 when he came from a bureau to my parent’s place and he was 22 when he left back.
Young, naughty, workaholic and sincere to the job were his few qualities and like any other kid he mingled easily with the family. My father was more dependent on him than anyone else among us because Montoo would help him walk and exercise everyday considering his limitations after two surgeries.

My mother would leave the house to him at any hour. He was also a part time at my house. Both me and my husband, Rohan thought that we are comfortable with him and even he would get an extra salary to support his old father back in Assam.

He would live, eat, play with my niece like a family member and to my knowledge has never said no to any work we gave him. He used to watch TV and movies with us and was very happy. One problem, which we had seen in him, was that he used to lie, which was rare but it used to happen. Not because of his intentions but he was scared. So if the glass had broken, he would keep it back as it is and when found, he would say ‘I accidentally broke’. We always told him not to hide but I believe it was in his nature.

We unintentionally had got ourselves addicted to him. And then came the time for his visit to his home town. He was going after two and years and got the tickets (even return) from us. He has gone in past too. And since his family was very needy, he was giving them good money back home.  Every-time he went, it was ensured that all his money was transferred to his father’s account.

Two months passed away, sulking with the temporary maid, may be because of the quality of the work and also because back of our mind we had no issues because it was all the matter of just two months.
In these two months, he gave us calls so many times that he misses us and that we would be facing lot problems because of his absence at work. Even we inquired about his know-how many times. He called two days before boarding the train that he is coming with one of his cousins who was looking for work.

Yesterday was the day of his arrival, and he did not come. Phone switched off, father’s phone says he is not well and is in Assam itself. May be the truth or may be not. His father was old and we understand that he must have faced his pressure of staying back. We do not blame him. All we expected was a phone call – that I would not come or I am not well and would take some time to come.

Trust is something we invested in him, to an extent that he was in our house for three months when my parents were in USA under our presence. And we are left with nothing but an expectation of one phone call that he could have made.  

Ending it with the same line – I don’t know whether I am right with my judgement that maids value only money. Since he was helping his father setting a small business of selling fishes and small raw tea leaves in these two months, my judgement could be right. But if he is truly unwell or is planning to come back then probably I am wrong. But trust is broken; a call was the least he could manage and not take us for granted.  Papa awaits him though we are getting back to our daily chores without him but it was an association of five years and hope of mutual requirement.

Wherever he stays, may he be happy and prospering as he was always!






You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Dear Montoo.. hope you are following Neha's blog and reading this from whichever part of the world you are. Please call her... ;) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure Montoo will mention this instance in his blog too and you will get your call...

    ReplyDelete